Re: [elpa] externals/org-modern 0043e584db: Use `display ""` for hiding

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/org-modern 0043e584db: Use `display ""` for hiding instead of `invisible t`
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 08:30:28 +0100

Visuwesh <visuweshm@gmail.com> writes:

> [புதன் நவம்பர் 30, 2022] Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>>     Unfortunately it seems that the invisible text property has been taken
>>> by
>>>     org-fold-core.
>>
>> What do you mean by that?
>
> In the latest release of Org, the outlines no longer use overlays to
> fold but text-properties.  All the assorted stuff was put in a general
> purpose library called "org-fold".

Relevant bit from ORG-NEWS:

> *** Users experiencing performance issues can use new folding backend
>
> The old folding backend used in Org is poorly scalable when the file
> size increases beyond few Mbs.  The symptoms usually include slow
> cursor motion, especially in long-running Emacs sessions.
>
> A new optimized folding backend is now available, and enabled by
> default.  To disable it, put the following to the Emacs config *before*
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq org-fold-core-style 'overlays)
> #+end_src
>
> Even more performance optimization can be enabled by customizing
> =org-fold-core--optimise-for-huge-buffers=.  However, this option may
> be dangerous.  Please, read the variable docstring carefully to
> understand the possible consequences.
>
> When =org-fold-core-style= is set to =text-properties=, several new
> features will become available and several notable changes will happen
> to the Org behavior.  The new features and changes are listed below.
>
> [ subsections elided for brevity ]
> **** Hidden parts of the links can now be searched and revealed during isearch
> **** =org-catch-invisible-edits= now works for hidden parts of the links and
> for emphasis markers
> **** Breaking structure of folded elements automatically reveals the folded
> text
> **** Folding state of the drawers is now preserved when cycling headline
> visibility
> **** =outline-*= functions may no longer work correctly in Org mode

My understanding (based only on skimming mailing lists, haven't tried
Org 9.6 yet):

* org-fold-core-style is 'text-properties by default,

* ISTR a bug-gnu-emacs thread where overlay performance was improved, so
  I wondered if Org 9.6 might revert to overlays by default and make the
  new backend opt-in,

* then again ORG-NEWS advertises "new features" with the new backend, so
  it's not just a matter of performance I guess?

Paging Ihor in, to dispel any misunderstanding of mine.