Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features

From: Randy Taylor
Subject: Re: Standardizing tree-sitter fontification features
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 19:03:46 +0000

On Friday, November 25th, 2022 at 01:15, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 24, 2022, at 5:13 PM, Randy Taylor dev@rjt.dev wrote:
> >

> > I wonder if assignment and definition are really worth having (and would
> > prefer to do without them), since they should be covered by the variable,
> > function, type and property features.
>

> They are definitely useful. They are the things we currently highlight, and
> for a reason. Personally I only want to highlight identifiers in definition
> and assignment, not every occurrence of them. Since so much of a program
> consists of variable and function identifiers, highlighting all of them looks
> almost like highlighting everything. I just want some visual cues on the
> program structure, not programming in skittles :-)

Fair enough. In that case, are we going to end up with duplication in the
variable and function features? So long as I can program in skittles, I am
happy :).

> > I would also add:
> > - misc-punctuation, for anything not considered a delimiter or bracket.
> > Most modes would use this for any special punctuation they've got.
>

> Is there any examples? Maybe just merge delimiter and punctuation together?

Yes, see sh-script.el. $ is used for misc-punctuation. neovim and the Emacs
dynamic module tree-sitter implementation have more examples (they call it
special punctuation).

I think we should keep them all separate.

> > - (maybe) literal instead of number? That way there is a group for chars
> > too (and any other literals if there are any?). Or a char feature in
> > addition to the existing number one. I'm undecided...
>

> Literal seems to encompass numbers, strings, chars, and constants. So I don’t
> know how does it fit. We could add char to string feature.

Sounds good. I think I've seen char also end up in constant in some of our
tree-sitter modes. Doesn't matter to me where it goes.

> > Maybe a slight tangent but I also suggest we alphabetize all of these; both
> > the queries and the list of features. I'll send a patch to do that myself
> > once things cool down a bit. Although anything that overrides will need to
> > go at the bottom to make sure it gets applied.
>

> Good idea :-) A tangent of your tangent: how did you alphabetize them? Did
> you use the sort-word package on EmacsWiki?
>
> Yuan

Manually ;) (except for the keyword and such lists, those I use the built-in
sort-lines on). I really like saying the alphabet over and over.