Re: Subprojects in project.el (Was: Eglot, project.el, and python virtua

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Subprojects in project.el (Was: Eglot, project.el, and python virtual environments)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 08:42:25 +0000

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 2:49 AM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
On 23/11/22 22:33, João Távora wrote:
> For my idea to work, project-current would have to be changed to
>
> 1. Call all members of project-find-functions: return the innermost
>     project found thus far.
> 2. Not call project-find-functions recursively when called from within a
> function
>     in project-find-functions, just return the innermost project found
>     thus far.
>
> I don't see any big performance problems in this alternative.

Might not be much of a difference in a simple configuration, but going
up and down dirs is not free even on a fast SSD, especially as the
number of the elements on this hook grows.

But where you will definitely see a difference, is when using this with
Tramp.

Have you seen the code I posted?  You'll notice that it doesn't do
any file system operations, it just does file name operations. And
those run in CPU/memory, not file system. So I cannot understand
your argument.  But I am happy to measure performance in different
scenarios, if you'd like to suggest a particularly problematic one.

João