Re: tree-sitter version?

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: tree-sitter version?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 21:02:23 -0800

> On Nov 23, 2022, at 8:57 PM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:
>
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>

> Confusing times ahead!
>
> So: am I supposed to install tree-sitter from github or from debian's
> package manager?

Either should be fine.

> I first did the package-manager version, then pulled from github and
> installed that -- configure shows that tree-sitter is detected -- but
> calling any of the tree-sitter modes, eg c-ts-mode barfs with an error
> saying that support is not available.

If you call tree-sitter-available-p, what do you get? Most likely you don’t
have the relevant language definition/grammar for those modes. You can probably
find them on package managers, or you can build with the script here:

https://github.com/casouri/tree-sitter-module

Do you think the error message could be improved? IIRC the error reporting
tells you you need language definitions, but maybe it should explicitly say
language definition != tree-sitter library.

Yuan