Re: master c69858b3f0: ; * lisp/treesit.el (treesit-ready-p): Guard agai

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master c69858b3f0: ; * lisp/treesit.el (treesit-ready-p): Guard against empty buffers.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 17:25:50 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  casouri@gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 09:57:38 -0500
>
> >> But my question was not so much pointing out a problem but trying to
> >> understand why we chose the more complex code.
> > Because we need to compare with byte positions,
>
> Ah, because we wrote "(in bytes)" in the docstring of
> `treesit-max-buffer-size`.  That's a rather unusual choice.  All other
> places were we use(d) a limit on the buffer size it's always been based
> on the number of chars.

No, not because we wrote "in bytes", but because treesit.c consistently uses
byte-counts to make similar tests (with a single exception that I fixed
yesterday), and keeps track of byte positions in its data structures.  I
assumed Yuan Fu did that for a reason, and I see at least a hint in the
signature of this function, through which tree-sitter reads buffer text:

  static const char*
  treesit_read_buffer (void *parser, uint32_t byte_index,
                       TSPoint position, uint32_t *bytes_read)

which uses "byte_index and bytes_read, each of which is an unsigned 32-bit
value.  And since our hard limit is 4G _bytes_, it didn't seem to me
consistent to test smaller limits against character counts, not byte counts.

> I doubt it would make a significant difference here either (e.g. not
> only the "10 times" memory use of the tree-sitter tree is obviously
> a rough approximation, but I doubt it's related to the number of bytes
> more than to the number of chars or even the number of lexemes).

If someone looks in the tree-sitter source code and tells us that we can
compare with character counts instead, I'll be the first to agree.