Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:56:15 +0100

> E.g. I can't see a clean way to install `git-commit` directly from its
> VCS (i.e. recognized by `package-activate-all` and running from the Git
> clone) without either forcing the install of `magit` at the same
> time(&place) and/or having side-effects like sometimes shadowing another
> installation of `magit`.

I see what you did there. ;)

This is an unusual, and in a sense extreme, example.  Prescient is a
much more typical example, so if you want to discuss the negative effect
that such practices have on your workflow, then it would be better to
focus on that package.

git-commit/magit also has an unpleasant backstory.  I can tell you about
that in a private message.  All I'll say here is that I did not actually
want to add git-commit to magit but the behavior of its author forced me
to accept the offer to take over as maintainer.  At the time it seemed
best to do that by adding it to the magit repository.

Moving it to a separate repository is an option.

At this time there aren't many changes that touch it, as well as other
parts of the repository, so the cost would probably be pretty low, and
I have done the same for with-editor and magit-popup (now replaced by
transient) before.

On the other hand, I have some doubts this is actually going to benefit
anyone.  Is there anyone out there who does use git-commit but not
magit?