Re: Add cl-defgeneric project-name; first use case eglot

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add cl-defgeneric project-name; first use case eglot
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 21:29:05 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>> Cc: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:50:37 +0000

> Why are you thinking only about changes related to how the project's name is
> spelled out?

Well, that was the subject of this thread.  Also this is not true, I
just wrote:

>> Or a more sophisticated
>> eglot-mode-line-format in the style of e.g. flymake-mode-line-format so
>> that multiple other things can be shown or hidden.

In other words: I support your idea to let Eglot's mode line be freely
customized by introducing a user-visible eglot-mode-line-format varible.
I'm simply stating that amongst the multiple elements possible in that
list, the element which puts in the project's "human-readable" name can
only logically get that information from project.el's API, which is
currently lacking in this regard.  Plugging that hole was Stephen's
suggestion, which I support.

João