Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:19:41 -0500

Stefan Kangas [2022-11-20 03:23:09] wrote:
> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>>> All of these packages live in the same repository in the link below.
>>
>> Would it be possible to change this?  E.g. by making each project live
>> on it's own branch.  That would make the :ignored-files rules below a
>> lot simpler.
>
> We could also make the rules simpler by adding support for the inverse
> of :ignored-packages.

Multi-package repositories are fundamentally incompatible with
`package-vc` (they kind of work, but with various caveats).
So I think we definitely don't want to support them better, but instead
we should discourage them.  If we want to invest efforts in that
direction it should be efforts to make it easier to "re-merge" packages
so as to move away from the problem.

        Stefan