Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:45:59 +0200

On 20.11.2022 08:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
But js2-mode inherits from js-mode (meaning, it will run the same setup
code, and then some of its own), yet it has its own parser. Which will
cause all sorts of conflicts with tree-sitter.
js2-mode is not in Emacs, so I cannot control what it does.  Ideally, it
will need only minor adjustments (like making sure it doesn't turn on
tree-sitter if it doesn't want to) or none at all.

That was my question: how would those "minor adjustments" look if not the way Yuan proposed things.

If our changes somehow break js2-mode, we should discuss the details and try
to fix the breakage as much as is reasonable from our side.  The details
aren't important from where I stand; what is important is that users of
js-mode can still use the mode even if they don't have tree-sitter installed
or don't want to use it even if it is installed.

I agree with that goal, of course.