Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:26:24 -0500

> Packages that we'd like to have in Emacs, but for some reason are on
> ELPA instead.

Yup.  I think it would grow a bit in the same kind of way that we've
added packages to Emacs in the past with similar tradeoffs between
offering a better "out of the box" experience and increasing the size of
the Emacs tarball too much.

> ELPA admits packages that do the same job as other packages, and also
> packages that do some jobs that are extremely niche jobs.
> So including everything makes very little sense to me.

Agreed.  Also there's the question of code quality.

Think of it a bit like NonGNU ELPA: in theory we could add almost all
"Melpa packages to NonGNU ELPA" (aka "GNU ELPA packages to Emacs"), but
instead we add them one by one.

        Stefan