Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:36:30 -0800

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> The good news is, feature/tree-sitter is merging in a few days! And
> we’ll make further improvements on the master. So rest assured! :-) I
> think we can at least get C, Python, Javascript, Typescript, Bash,
> JONS and CSS to go with the up coming release, largely thanks to
> Theo’s (and tree-sitter’s) productivity. I personally don’t know
> enough of C++ and Java to polish them, but they have a good chance
> too.

That's very exciting news!  Thanks Yuan, Theodor and all others who
contributed.

There seems to be a whole lot of figuring out left to do with both the
API and how the major modes should be implemented.  Would it make sense
to ship the `tree-sitter' feature (and related modes) as explicitly
"experimental", to allow us to make changes in Emacs 30 without overly
worrying about backwards-compatibility?