Re: Thoughts on replacing macros with static inline functions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Thoughts on replacing macros with static inline functions
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 00:05:21 -0500

I agree -- there is nothing wrong with macros, and we should
not make it or goal to eliminate the use of macros.
Macros have pitfalls, which are consequences of their basic nature,
but we know how to avoid them, and have documented the methods.

The GNU C Language Introduction and Reference Manual advises users on
how to deal with these and many other pitfalls of the C language.