Re: Eglot, project.el, and python virtual environments

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Eglot, project.el, and python virtual environments
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:38:34 +1300

On 2022-11-18 11:21, Tim Cross wrote:
Is this something which should be addressed at the eglot level or at the
project level? It seems to me that what you really have here is a main
project which consists of a number of sub-projects and that it could be
beneficial more generally if you could more easily isolate out the
sub-projects (not just for eglot, but possibly for other tools as well)
at the project.el layer rather than the eglot layer. This could mean the
user has to be more involved in defining the project and sub-project
structure/relationships, but that may be reasonable when you have more
complex project structure?

I guess my question here is whether the focus should be on enhancing
project.el rather than modifying/enhancing eglot.el to handle this use
case?

It seems to me that while project.el could acquire the notion of
sub-projects, the *meaning* of a sub-project would be entirely
specific to the tool which needed it (eglot in this case).  And if you
had multiple tools which each wanted some kind of sub-project, you
might find that some of the sub-projects were overlapping others,
depending on the needs of the tools which each one was related to.

Still, if eglot could ask project.el for "the nearest sub-project
defined for 'eglot' usage, if any, and otherwise the main project" and
project.el had been told that for the project at /path/to/proj there
was an 'eglot' sub-project at /path/to/proj/subdir/foo, then that
could be useful.

So project.el could provide an API for defining and returning
sub-projects, but it would be up to eglot (or other tools) to cause
such sub-projects to have any kind of effect, and it would be up to
the end-user to define their 'eglot' sub-projects in the first place.