Re: master 69d1278527: ; Fix some doc strings in elisp-mode.el

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: master 69d1278527: ; Fix some doc strings in elisp-mode.el
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:17:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe I do, I don't remember.  But using it doesn't necessarily mean I
> can immediately understand the relation to what the doc string says
> (or doesn't say).

(info "(elisp) Instrumenting") describes everything completely and
correctly AFAIK.

Which means: EDEBUG-IT is the prefix arg and when it is specified, then
the top-level form to be evaluated is first instrumented, and then
evaluated.  Details seem to be slightly more complicated
(`edebug-read-and-maybe-wrap-form1'): defining forms are treated a bit
specially.  But that detail doesn't need to be explained in that
docstring.

`edebug-all-defs' non-nil reverts the meaning of the prefix arg of
C-M-x.  That probably should be added to the docstring.

The code... I can also only read the code, it's not trivial: when using
the prefix arg, edebug is first `requir'ed.  Loading edebug installs an
advice on `eval-defun' - that's why the recursive call of `eval-defun'
is not nonsense (you may want to add a comment to the code...).  The
advice's name is `edebug--eval-defun'.  And that works by advising
`load-read-function' to make it return instrumented code.

All only AFAIU.  Anything else I could try to answer in particular?
Maybe also Stefan wants to help...

Michael.