Re: On improving Bookmarks

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: On improving Bookmarks
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:28:30 -0600

[I'm combining the original bug-59212 thread with an emacs-devel thread here.]

From: Gabriel <gabriel376@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 05:56:22 -0300

Not a bug per se, but a suggestion for improvement in how Bookmark displays the Type (added by commit 7c995264359824cc1aca40ca37201db5ed44e659).

Currently, bookmark-bmenu-list (C-x r l) displays a column named Type, which has a proper value for all handlers (e.g.: Eshell, VC, EWW etc) except for regular files, in which an empty string is displayed. I believe the current behavior could be improved by displaying a default value ("Files") to make the interface more uniform, explicit and to
avoid confusion.

Steps:
1) emacs -Q
2) M-x eshell
3) C-x r m <RET>
4) C-x C-f ~/foo.bar
5) C-x r m <RET>
6) C-x r b

These steps will add two bookmarks (eshell and foo.bar) and will open
the Bookmarks list. The Type column will have values "" and
"Eshell". After the patch below is applied, the Type column will have
values "File" and "Eshell".

Thanks.

Karl, any comments?

I don't have a strong opinion on this UI suggestion.

For users who set mostly file-or-directory bookmarks, and don't set very many bookmarks of other types, then it probably makes sense to treat files/directories as the default and not show a type for them. That way, the unusual bookmarks stand out (which is useful because they might have different response-time characteristics, or other interactive idiosyncracies, than that user's typical bookmark does).

On the other hand, for users for whom file/directory bookmarks are not more common than other kinds of bookmarks, showing "File" or "Directory" like any other type would probably be better. Those users are already accustomed to a variety of interactivity characteristics from their bookmarks anyway, so it makes less sense to trade away consistency of display in favor of stand-out visibility of certain cases.

But these are really minor differences; they're not terribly persuasive either way. I think I'm still at "no strong opinion". I wouldn't stand in the way of the change.

Continuing on to the later conversation on emacs-devel about this: