Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Tree sitter support for C-like languages
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:35:47 -0800

> On Nov 13, 2022, at 5:26 PM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> On 14.11.2022 02:22, Yuan Fu wrote:
>> So if we want the warning face to automatically disappear, we need to record
>> these warning faces and remember to come back to refontify them later. We
>> need to know when to refontify them, and know when to stop trying to
>> refontify them (maybe the error isn’t transient). For now I think it’s best
>> to just not fontify the error nodes.
>
> I'm guessing the situation could be the reverse as well: after the user
> typing some chars, the warning would need to be *added* rather than removed,
> in some cases.

That’s a good perspective. But from what I see I think it’s best not to fontify
these “errors”, at least for C and C++. Because a lot of things could be marked
“error” in a C file, like stuff around macros. And in extreme cases the whole
file is marked “error”, even though if we ignore the error everything is parsed
fine. I guess tree-sitter isn’t happy about some tiny thing in that file but
never the less can parse everything correctly. I attached that file below.

> Any chance tree-sitter gives you some info/callbacks to convey the earliest
> node (closes to bob) which has changed after the most recent buffer
> modification? So we'd refontify starting with its beginning position.

Yes and no, I explained in more detail in another message.