Re: Adding use-package to core

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Adding use-package to core
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:44:39 +0530

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm entirely in support of the code and its development moving directly into
>>> core. Whichever best supports the Emacs developers and the needs of the
>>> community, since it is more than likely that future work will be carried out
>>> by others. I'm ready to hand it off in whatever way is desired by the team
>>> here.
>>
>> IMHO, for that to make sense, someone capable would have to volunteer to
>> maintain it on our side.  If we don't have such a volunteer, it makes
>> more sense to me to keep development external for now.

I would like to volunteer for maintaining use-package in core or even
outside, but my current skill-level and time availability restrict in
making a commitment. However, that was always my intention when starting
this discussion. Keeping development out of tree is a good middle
ground.

>> If we see a need to move development fully into core in the future, we
>> can always do that, but the reverse is harder.
>
> I agree, a transitory stage where use-package is still maintained
> externally sounds like the safer bet for now.
>
>> (If we want to preserve history when making such a move at a later date,
>> we could just delete our existing copy of the file from emacs.git and
>> then merge the full git history, just as we did with eglot.el.)
>
> In that case, what is left is completing the .texi manual, or am I
> mistaken?  After that, I suppose that placing the right files in the
> right places in emacs.git will be less that a days work.

IIUC, yes. Completing the manual and placing the files should be all
that is needed. As mentioned before, use-package has been widely
used/tested and has been fairly stable. There should be very few
surprises expected even if we aim for 29.1.