Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:35:10 -0500

  > Example from the Info manual

  >      ;; read-symbol-shorthands: (("snu-" . "some-nice-string-utils-"))

  > The "snu-" definition is not recorded anywhere, nothing is preventing
  > someone else from also using "snu-", or warning about it.

There is no need to prevent someone else from using it.  Each file's
shorthands are local: they do not conflict with other files.  If you
want to define `snu-' as a shorthand in your file, go ahead.

                                                               You can't
  > find out that "snu-" was used to read it from looking at a symbol,

Why does that matter?
If what appears in the code is `some-nice-string-utils-concat', when is
it crucial to find out whether a shorthand was used to enter it?

Is this about the grep shortcoming?  I don't think CL packages avoid that.

                                                                       or if
  > an abbreviation was used at all, which is in my eyes unlispy, because it
  > allows no introspection.

I don't think we need to complicate Emacs Lisp to make all kinds of
introspection possible at the s-expression level.