Re: Matching regex case-sensitively in C strings?

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Matching regex case-sensitively in C strings?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:52:40 +0100

9 nov. 2022 kl. 14.06 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

>> You are right to worry about it, but there is actually no need for
>> concern here: it's a tail call (and the extra argument is last) so
>> it should compile to an unconditional jump (and setting a register).
>
> That's not what I see here, even with -O2.

Trying to read your mind, are you using 32-bit x86? Even that shouldn't be
disastrous; it's just some stack manipulation. Hardly noticeable given that
it's a regexp match that comes next.

I am definitely guilty of not thinking much of 32-bit x86 when coding for
performance (haven't for a number years). Of course this doesn't mean we should
allow it to become much worse than it needs to be.