Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 19:11:48 -0500

> I'm exactly talking about you reference but with addition that there's
> no standard load-path for native modules. Regular lisp modules which are
> unless native compilation is used interpreted or byte compiled go to
> /usr/share.

Ah, that.  Yes, we have a problem here because we just search along `load-path`
but this normally holds architecture-independent files, whereas modules
are architecture-dependent.

I suspect nobody took up that challenge yet because it's quite rare
nowadays to share /usr or $HOME across several machines and even more so
across machines using different architectures.

>>> But just don't run them inside Emacs itself and not synchronously.
>> I lost you here.  I have no idea what "them" refers to.
> Any process that involves package-vc by it building the package or
> fetching their sources.

Ah, that's a small matter of programming.

        Stefan