Re: Make peg.el a built-in library?

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Make peg.el a built-in library?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 20:38:41 +0530

[செவ்வாய் நவம்பர் 08, 2022] Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> And that's about the only hint you get. I was trying to parse a
>> multiword name like
>>
>> Eric Edwin Abrahamsen
>
> Side note: the division between "given name" a "family name" is not
> a universal property, so as general rule I'd advise against trying to do
> it (and treat the whole thing as just "the name" without trying to
> analyze its structure) unless there's some strong external factor that
> requires it.

+1.  Nothing annoys me more than a form that says "First name",
"Surname", and "Last name": I don't have a last name, just an initial.
I usually put my father's "first name" as my last name when there's an
absolute need to but then all the mails addressed to me make *zero*
sense since they are addressed as

    Dear <Father's "first name">

rather than

    Dear Visuwesh

which always makes me doubt that I got my father's mail *somehow*
instead.  (Side side note: every single time my family needs to fill up
a form, we have a ten minute meeting about what to do with the
first-name-last-name situation; it is not fun as you can imagine.)

I sighed a breath of relief when the FSF CA form did not have anything
like "last name".
[ Ever since I came to the university campus, explaining that I have no
  "last name" has been a recurring and fun activity.  ]