Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:47:19 -0300

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 at 13:50, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I now have tested it -- a simple case now works.  If someone tells me
> how to install the s package from NonGNU ELPA, I could test that too.
> (I have never installed anything from ELPA.)

Hi Richard,

I sometimes run emacs -Q in empty/fake home directories, with:

  rm -Rv /tmp/fake-home-dir/
  mkdir  /tmp/fake-home-dir/
  cd     /tmp/fake-home-dir/
  HOME=$PWD emacs -Q

and then I install packages by executing some of the sexps below with
my favorite variant of `C-e C-x C-e':

  (require 'package)
  (package-initialize)
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("nongnu" .
"https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/";))
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa"  . "https://melpa.org/packages/";))
  (package-refresh-contents)
  (package-install 's)
  (describe-package 's)

Notes:

  1) If you don't want NonGNU ELPA ou MELPA just skip the
     corresponding `add-to-list's,

  2) `(package-refresh-contents)' usually takes several seconds to run,

  3) The usual instructions for installing packages are like this:

       (info "(emacs)Package Menu")

Buenas Salenas,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/eepitch.html