Re: emacs-repository-{version|branch} on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-repository-{version|branch} on Windows
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 20:51:33 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 19:24:11 +0100
>
> I've been struggling with these two variables being nil on my build, and
> finally I modified
> emacs-repository-version-git to write a log file and see what was happening:
>
> fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at 'D:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk'
> 'D:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/.git' is owned by:
>         'S-1-5-32-544'
> but the current user is:
>         'S-1-5-21-...' [my account's SID]
> To add an exception for this directory, call:
>
>         git config --global --add safe.directory D:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk

Why is this an Emacs problem?  It's a typical Windows messup, whereby
some directories are "owned" by the Administrators _group_ instead of
by your user.  Just fire up the File Explorer, and make it change the
owner of wherever you keep your Git repository to your user,
recursively.

> One of these cases where there's a directory whose owner is the
> Administrators group. Changing the
> ownership of .git/ to the current user fixed the problem.

Which is what you should do.  In general, make every directory where
you or your applications create files to be owned by your user, and
make sure they will inherit the ownership to any subdirectories.

> Is this usual? Should it be mentioned on some README? (Or perhaps it is
> already and I did miss it.)

I see no reason to decide that this has anything to do with Emacs.
That's a slippery slope, especially given that no one is lately
interested in maintaining the Windows port of Emacs.