Re: feature/tree-sitter: Where to Put C/C++ Stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/tree-sitter: Where to Put C/C++ Stuff
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 09:24:52 +0200

> Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 06:44:38 +0100
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>
> >Where specifically should the C and C++ tree-sitter stuff go? I've been
> >using it for a couple months and would like to upstream syntax highlighting
> >for both. I'll focus on getting C done first.
> >
> >I see there are a lot of cc- files; would it be appropriate to add the
> >tree-sitter stuff into a new cc-treesit.el file?
> >Thanks.
>
> I'm no authority on the matter, but I'd love for us not to complicate things
> too much. I vote for separate, non-cc-prefixed _new_ modes, that derives from
> prog-mode.

That'd mean people will need either to invent all the other goodies in
CC mode (everything except fontifications and indentation) from
scratch, or give up all those other goodies.  Does that make sense?

Tree-sitter doesn't (and cannot) replace everything a major mode does
for a programming language.  So a completely new mode means we through
the baby with the bathwater.