Re: What were the Emacs versions with dates limited to 1970 .. 2037 year

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What were the Emacs versions with dates limited to 1970 .. 2037 year range?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:19:48 -0400

Eli Zaretskii [2022-06-13 05:37:00] wrote:
>> Come 2037, the systems with unfixed libc's will automatically become
>> obsolete.  We won't have to do anything.
> Emacs compiled with those obsolete libc versions can be moved to a
> newer system, and will generally still continue working.

I don't think so, unless they come with two different `libc`s, in which
case those applications using the newer `libc` might still work and
those with the old `libc` won't, but even so users of such a system will
presumably know that those programs using the old `libc` need to be run
in a specialized environment with a bogus time or something like that.

The argument is that whatever happens to Emacs will also happen to ll
other programs using that same `libc`, so Emacs doesn't really need to
say anything.

        Stefan