Re: Set X primary selection with Emacs in xterm

From: Duncan Findlay
Subject: Re: Set X primary selection with Emacs in xterm
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 22:49:18 -0700

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 7:39 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Duncan Findlay <duncf@google.com> [2022-06-03 08:24]:
> > I frequently use Emacs over ssh and I'd really like to get both
> > primary and clipboard selections to work as close as possible to
> > running Emacs on X natively. I'd like to kill text in Emacs and have
> > that show up in my system clipboard so I can paste into other
> > applications.
>
> I have these settings and it works for me exactly how you explained
> above.
>
> (setq select-enable-clipboard t)
> (setq select-enable-primary t)

As I understand it, this configuration will cause killed text to be
put in both your clipboard and primary selection buffers.

I suppose that technically meets the criteria I outlined above -- it
should work identically over ssh and on X natively, but it's not quite
what I meant.

> > Similarly, if I select text with mark and keyboard (or mouse with
> > xterm-mouse-mode), I'd like it to update my local X's primary
> > selection so I can middle-click to paste it elsewhere. I have two
> > patches attached that got this working for me.
>
> For me your explained situation works without patches. I have the
> above settings. But I may miss something as you mention
> xterm-mouse-mode which I am not even using it ever. On my side it
> works.

Sorry, I should have been more precise.

I would like the primary selection to be updated with the contents of
the region, as described here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Primary-Selection.html

This requires `select-active-regions' to be non-nil. Do you have this
set in your configuration?

Thanks
Duncan