Re: master 2f31dbeadf: Also show mouse DND tooltip contents during inter

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 2f31dbeadf: Also show mouse DND tooltip contents during interprogram drag-and-drop
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 18:07:18 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> That's very unfortunate, because the current implementation is not
> clean enough, IMO.  I cannot convince myself that we will never use
> stale DX/DY values; can you?

I'm convinced: the DX and DY are always valid when `tip_frame' is a live
frame, and we don't use them otherwise.

> Plus, using static variables means only one such instance can ever be
> supported -- another restriction we'd be better without.

We already cannot refer to tip frames, and the toolkits we use currently
only support displaying a single system tooltip at the same time.

So there will be significantly more work involved in supporting multiple
tooltips than eliminating a few of the static tooltip state variables,
of which there are already a few anyway: tip_frame, tip_window,
tip_timer, tip_last_string, tip_last_frame and tip_last_parms.