Re: master 977f3f27c5 2/2: Don't issue warnings for Unicode quotes for n

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 977f3f27c5 2/2: Don't issue warnings for Unicode quotes for now
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 14:22:43 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> I was thinking of making it depend on a separate variable or user
> option that we would set as a directory local variable.  Could such an
> approach work?

Yes.  But it feels a bit awkward to introduce a variable just for this.

We do have byte-compile-warnings, which can be either t or a list, and
it would be nice if we could extend that to cover this use case, to
avoid introducing another mechanism.  But we want t to mean
"everything-but-this"...  Hm...

Perhaps we could make an explicit mapping: t to `(not
(docstrings-unicode-quotes ...))' and then introduce a new `emacs-build'
value that's the old t (basically)?  That way we could (in the future)
introduce more warnings just for the Emacs build that wouldn't affect
other usages of the byte compiler.