RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while insta

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 00:24:53 +0000

> > Yes, indeed.  I haven't seen anything like that for markdown (which
> > is probably even more popular for READMEs than org), though.
>
> I think that's simply because Markdown (as the name suggests) is
> designed such that the Markdown source can be very close to the best
> possible plain text rendering, significantly reducing the motivation to
> design plain text renderer.

Yes.  And that closeness also means that it's
generally not so difficult to go from simple
plain-text without markup to Markdown, and
vice versa.

> [ That's also why I tend to prefer Markdown for small documents, where
>   I tend to find Org's markup a bit too loud. ]

Yes again.

There are lots of nice, rendered or renderable
fancy formats, including Org and Markdown, HTML,
PDF, Info/TexInfo.

Packages should, I think, be able to provide
whatever they like, as long as they also provide
some simple README.

(And again, that simple, plain-text README need
not try to say or do all that another format
might do.  IMO.)