Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 12:36:36 -0400

Akib Azmain Turja [2022-06-04 19:14:20] wrote:
> Packages on ELPA or NonGNU ELPA with README.org show pretty description
> both with describe-package and web browser.  But after installing a
> package, describe-package shows the Org source code, which contains
> many useless things (I mean useless for showing in the *Help* buffer).
>
> Isn't it possible to convert README.org to plain text README while
> compiling the package, possibly optionally?

Actually, if the package is not yet installed, you should get this
"README.org converted to plain text" (which we get by fetching it from
`elpa.(non)gnu.org`, because it's distributed separately from the
package itself).

This is related to the problem that package tarballs do not come with
a description of where we can find their README (even tho the site that
packages it does know (and uses it in the webpage it generates)) :-(

        Stefan