Re: "make autoloads" signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "make autoloads" signals an error
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 13:20:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I think you didn't clean your tree?

Wasn't part of the recipe.  :-/

Anyway, I'm testing the same in Emacs 28 just to see how it's supposed
to work -- and is an out-of-build tree supposed to write the .elc files
in the tree?  I.e., build/lisp/ remains empty after finishing the build?

(Except for a Makefile.)

The problem seems to be that loaddefs-gen tries to put the generated
files into build/lisp/, and then Emacs can't find them.  So I'll adjust
that to put them into lisp-directory instead.  But isn't this a bug?
That is, an out-of-tree build shouldn't alter the source tree at all I'd
have thought?