Re: native compilation units

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: native compilation units
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 13:50:18 +0000

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> Since the native compiler does not support linking eln files, I'm curious if
> anyone has tried combining elisp files as
> source code files and compiling the result as a unit?
> Has there been any testing to determine if larger compilation units would be
> more efficient either in terms of loading or
> increased optimization opportunities visible to the compiler?

Hi,

the compiler can't take advantage of interprocedural optimizations (such
as inline etc) as every function in Lisp can be redefined in every
moment.

You can trigger those optimizations anyway using native-comp-speed 3 but
each time one of the function in the compilation unit is redefined
you'll have to recompile the whole CU to make sure all changes take
effect.

This strategy might be useful, but I guess limited to some specific
application.

Best Regards

  Andrea