Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 13:16:01 +0200

> Perhaps something along the lines of:

I've now pushed something like that -- I've just altered
lisp/Makefile.in to opportunistically start doing the org -> texi
conversion while doing compile-main.

This shaves off about ten seconds of a "make -j8 bootstrap" build here.
I don't think there's any major sections where a typical machine is
single-threaded during the build process any more, except when doing the
two temacs/bootstrap builds, and I don't think there's much to be done
about that.

While we're tweaking these things, this reminds me -- should we have a
build target for "clean everything but don't require configure to be run
again"?  In 99.7% of all cases I'm saying "make bootstrap", I haven't
changed anything that requires configure to be run again, so perhaps
that would be nice to have.  Which brings me to a question -- just what
is it that triggers the new configure run, anyway?