Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: elquery, file-ring, metamorph

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: elquery, file-ring, metamorph
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 04:28:38 -0400

> Sadly putting the examples in README is not very helpful since
> installing your package from melpa doesn't appear to bring down the
> README; one shouldn't need to click through to Github to find out how to
> use it if one has installed the package.

A better fix is to make it easy for Emacs to show the README (assuming
it's included in the tarball).  I think we've discussed this in the past
and there had been some progress, but there's probably more to do.

> Also, a README that says "it's like JQuery but far less useful" is
> likely to chase away any users --- yes I understand the need for
> humility and to not over-promise but this is perhaps going a bit to far
> --- why not try to at least have the goal of making it as useful as
> JQuery? Alternatively just write an elisp wrapper that calls JQuery:-)

More importantly, it should also be understandable by someone who
doesn't know what is JQuery.

        Stefan