Re: Emms and youtube-dl

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Emms and youtube-dl
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 08:46:17 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Adding support for youtube-scraping is likely to be bad for
> maintenance. […] Perhaps you could access youtube videos via the
> invidio.us proxies. […] Perhaps peertube offers a documented API you
> could use.

For maintenance, I do not see much of a difference between using a local
scraper, such as 'youtube-dl', and using a remote scraper, such as
Invidious.  They both alleviate the pain of scraping and provide
documented APIs.  The question really comes down to ethics, and among
the mentioned programs, just PeerTube differs in this regard.

Rudy
--
"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
-- Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt, 2002

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia