Re: How to distribute dynamic modules by themselves?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to distribute dynamic modules by themselves?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:16:43 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2022-03-23 12:20:17] wrote:
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is there any way to put a dynamic module on ELPA so that other
>> packages could use it conveniently?
> I'm not quite sure what the state of dynamic modules on ELPA is.
> Stefan?

Currently, there's only one such module,m i.e. `pq`.
It's not well integrated yet.
The way it's supposed to work (after Someoneā„¢ codes it up) is that
during `package-install` a chunk of ELisp in the attempts to compile
the module.

Then the same chunk of ELisp should (re)compile the module as/when
needed when the ELisp package is loaded.  Ideally, this is done from
a function, so it's not done when the package is barely loaded but when
that function is actually called (which is a more convincing evidence
that the module is needed).

Regarding distributing pre-compiled modules, there's currently no
infrastructure for that.  We could consider it, but it can only be
a partial solution (we can't easily make sure we cover all possible
architecures, ...), so the focus for now is in getting the
automated/lazy-compilation working.

        Stefan