RE: [External] : Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completions-customs'
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:52:05 +0000

> put the number of completions in the mode line instead.

Yes, I suggested that.  And explained what other
completion status it can also be useful to show
there (in the mode-line).  And pointed to doc
with screenshots about this, as food for thought.
(No response, no reply about this, sad to say.)

> Yes, that's somewhat confusing.  Would it be possible to not activate
> the point highlight before the user has selected the completions window
> (one way or another)?

FWIW:

In Icicles, highlighting of the current candidate
goes along with changing the current candidate
(duh).  IOW, it happens when you cycle from one
candidate to another.  (There are also other ways
to change the current candidate.)

When no candidate is current, none is highlighted.

When a candidate becomes current it's at the same
time placed in the minibuffer, so hitting RET etc.
chooses it.

You don't need to switch focus to *Completions*
to cycle.  But you can do so.  Users never really
need to select window *Completions*, and they
seldom do so.  But a few actions can be easier to
carry out there.  You typically do everything in
the minibuffer: edit, complete, cycle, choose,...

`TAB' and some other keys cycle among candidates.
`TAB' also initiates completion.  The second `TAB'
in a row starts cycling - to the first candidate,
then the second, etc. in the current sort order.

You don't need to use `TAB' to cycle.  You can
instead use keys such as `down', in which case
there's no need for the key to do double duty,
so no need to hit it twice to start cycling.

(It's also possible to not show any candidates in
*Completions*, i.e., to just cycle them into the
minibuffer.  That behavior's used less often, but
it's available at any time.)