Re: Select completions from the minibuffer

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Select completions from the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:23:24 +0100

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>,  larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
  juri@linkov.net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:04:12 -0400

But as for moving point, maybe you're right that we have a bug there,
when point is moved in a window other than the selected window.

> If that's the case, how come the region's display is updated when you
> insert a character or move point (with Shift pressed)?

The region is only highlighted in the selected-window

Except when highlight-nonselected-windows is non-nil, right?

Actually this is the simplest way to test:

(setq highlight-nonselected-windows t)

Create a buffer: test

write some text there and select a part of that text (so you see the region)

Then from scratch try commands like (just an example):

(with-current-buffer "test"
  (right-char)
  (insert "X"))

Or similes several times...

You will see that the region is not updated.