Re: master f8bb6cca33: Return the same file from locate-file in nativeco

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master f8bb6cca33: Return the same file from locate-file in nativecomp and non
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 19:22:19 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:57:45 -0400
>
> > E.g., is the result below expected, or is it a bug?
> >
> >   (locate-file "simple" native-comp-eln-load-path '(".eln"))
> >     => nil
>
> I assume you don't have a `simple.eln` file in your
> `native-comp-eln-load-path`, so nil seems correct.

So you are saying that finding the .eln file produced from simple.el
is not something we should support, like we do with the *.elc files?
And/or that the tools which we use since day one for *.elc files
should not be extended to support the *.eln files?

> > Or what about load-history -- why does it only show the *.elc files
> > loaded by the session, but not the *.eln files?
>
> To better preserve compatibility.

Compatibility with what?  The native-compilation feature explicitly
_breaks_ compatibility, in that it introduces a new kind of "compiled
Lisp" files, new places to look for them, and many other exciting
incompatibilities.  You cannot be compatible when such changes happen.

Anyway, I will now bow out of this discussion, since it's abundantly
clear we deeply disagree about quite a few of the involved aspects,
starting with what is the role and the purpose of locate-file.