Re: [ELPA] Add 'logos' package

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add 'logos' package
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 09:59:22 +0100

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

> If we will still have to explain what the name means, I think it is
> easier to just stick with "logos".  That way I will not have to make any
> changes to the package and my website.

FWIW, I find "logos" to be a fine name for this package.  Might be just
me, but it conveys notions of "speech", "reason", "structured thought",
which IIUC this mode aims at supporting.

The Emacs package ecosystem is no stranger to obscure names that
nonetheless seem to enjoy wide popularity; I'm thinking e.g. of Daniel
Mendler's corfu and vertico.

I think keywords and titles are more suited to solving the problem of
package discovery and visibility.  Trying to stuff as much "relevant"
semantics as possible in the name alone feels counter-productive to me:
finding one or two words that will successfully map to a meaningful
subset of a package's feature, in every user's brain, sounds like a very
hard problem.

IMO this "one-or-two words" budget is better spent on some other purpose
(brevity, catchiness, punniness, theming…).  Again, to me "logos" is
thematically very appropriate.