Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: co

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: colour specs
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 18:14:52 +0800

Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org> writes:

> The syntax is from X11, or at least that is why Emacs supports it.

But the X11 intensity string specification doesn't accept whitespace or
hexidecimal values, so it's different from the rgbi specification that
was implemented in Emacs.  Though in practice, tolerance for whitespace
is X server-specific.  For the same reason, we don't use XParseColor to
parse color specifications.

> These unintended extensions do not provide the user with any
> additional expressive power so there seems to be little reason for
> them. For that matter, I believe that extensions should be motivated
> by needs, not by implementation happenstance. Don't you agree?

If the happenstance doesn't cause trouble, there is no need to get rid
of it.

Thanks.