Re: Inaccuracy in NEWS.28

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Inaccuracy in NEWS.28
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 20:46:59 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> So if you think mentioning Pango there is incorrect (but please
> explain why, as I don't think I agree with your reasoning: AFAIK Pango
> is the text layout engine used by Cairo)

Pango is a text layout and font management library which operates on a
much higher level than cairo.  It performs bidirectional reordering, and
delegates to HarfBuzz for text shaping, along with using FreeType for
calculating glyph metrics and for opening fonts, and fontconfig to
enumerate fonts.

Cairo is one of the many libraries that Pango can use to display glyphs
onto the glass, but is otherwise unrelated to Pango.

However, judging by those discussions, there does seem to be some
problems with cairo and bitmap fonts.  So how about saying this instead:

  Building with Cairo is known to cause some problems with bitmap fonts.
  This may require you to adjust your font settings, or to build with
  Xft support instead.

Thanks.