Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 17:20:37 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:09:31 +0100
>
> Your definition of "normal character width" is clearly superior to what
> we have in Emacs today, though, so I wonder whether we could change
> that.  That is, today if you say `display (space 2)' you get a multiple
> of the frame column width.  We could change that to be the ASCII font
> width of the current face instead, like what you suggested for this new
> feature.
>
> This would be incompatible, but I doubt it'd break anything much in
> practice.

Perhaps we could eat the cake and also have it: the 'space' spec
already supports a notion of "units".  Currently, we have:

       UNIT ::= in | mm | cm | width | height

where "width" and "height" are for the default face's font.  So we
could add a new "unit", say, "face-width" or "font-width" (and
similarly with height), to mean dimensions of the character of the
font used by the underlying face.