Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:16:49 +0800

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Here you are checking for and instantiating a known source element
> that produces a fixed test image, but for any practical use (e.g.
> playing a video from a web page or local file system) you’ll need to
> instantiate a demultiplexer that knows how to split the original byte
> stream into video, audio, and subtitle streams, and video and audio
> decoders that handle the particular compression format.

I will write individual pipelines for most of the common use cases,
taking care to use only plugins that are free software.

I do not plan on using playbins or any other elements that will load
plugins dynamically.

> Also, will the user be able to override the avoidance (“Yes I know
> those are patent-encumbered and I have no problem with that”, or “Yes
> I know that decoder might have a security vulnerability and I accept
> the risk”)? If so, how?

The user will not.  I don't want to make Emacs a tool that is more
convenient when used with proprietary software.

In short, I don't want Emacs to lead people who judge by convenience to
use proprietary software.