Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 18:10:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Is that what you wanted to ask?  Does that answer your question?

I wondered whether people had any opinion on whether the stretch should
or shouldn't use the face from the preceding text.  😀

> You mean, the text "covered" by this property?

Yes.

> Btw, why don't you just record in the iterator the position where it
> ends when you first see the property, instead of trying to identify
> that by comparing property values?  The iterator structure has a
> member called 'position' for this purpose.

Hm...  how do I know where it ends when I see the start?

> Sorry, I don't understand: the functions which call display_min_width
> are general-purpose display code, they are used for displaying both
> buffer text and Lisp strings.  In fact, displaying the mode line
> already means that strings are supported, because the mode line is
> constructed from Lisp strings, not from buffer text.
>
> In any case, can you please explain what the test bufpos == 0 tries to
> test?  I'd like to understand the logic there.

I may well have misunderstood something, but my bufpos == 0 test is
testing whether I'm really being called from display_string.  If it not
0, I'm assuming I'm being called while displaying a buffer.