Re: Tick Reduction

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:45:05 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru,  stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:19:59 +0100
>
> I wondered whether it'd be much work to implement a min-width thing for
> a sequence of characters.  So with this
>
> (insert "||" (propertize "foo" 'min-width '(10.0)) "||")
>
> and the proof of concept patch (it needs some more sanity checking)
> below I get:
>
> which seems promising.  However, point movement over the stretch glyph
> is very wonky -- Emacs basically refuses to put point after that
> stretch glyph.
>
> Anybody got any tips on what I need to do to get point movement working
> here?

Do you intend to install something like this when the problems are
fixed?  Or is this just a prototype to get the impression of what the
results could look like?  If the latter, we just need to fix the
immediate issue with the cursor (if it is at all relevant, since this
is for mode line AFAIU?).  If it's the former, we need to talk about
the design, because the way you wrote the code, it violates several
protocols of the display engine, and that needs to be fixed first (and
will probably also fix the problems you have with the cursor).

Thanks.