Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:31:14 -0500

  > Perhaps my mail didn't reach you, but I sent you mail answering your
  > questions earlier.

I didn't see it before.  Thanks for repeating it.

Because I know nothing about GStreamer except what I've seen in these
messages, I can't be sure of the implications of these facts.  I don't
have enough context to fit them into.

  > > The plugins that this change takes advantage of will only stream free
  > > software,

That suggests the feature might be ok -- but verifying that calls
for some more discussion.

                as it doesn't depend on gst-plugins-ugly or gst-plugins-bad.

You have mentioned gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly and
gst-plugins-bad.  Can you tell me how they relate to GStreamer itself?
How does GStreamer interact with them?  Are they linked it by ld?
Is it static linking?

Does the choice of one of those inevitably have to be made when
building Emacs?  Does GStreamer ever use some sort of dynamic linking
to select one of them?

They say "plugins", not "plugin".  Is  there a separate plugin for each
media format?  If so, does selecting gst-plugins-good statically
link _all_ of the free plugins?  If not that, then what?