Re: Tick Reduction

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 14:36:06 +0100

> So that's halfway between Firefox and Emacs -- the monospace font has
> the same x-height as the proportional font, but lower overall height, I
> think.

Hmm, it's hard to say why they do that.  Either they have consciously
gone in a different direction, or Chrome (being the newer browser) just
never bothered to clean this up as Firefox has.

The considerations will perhaps be slightly different for a text editor
though, where we are concerned not just with display but also effective
editing (i.e. an even greater need to pick things out to avoid
mistakes).

The Firefox way seems more in line with what you would see in a printed
manual, and has the benefit that the monospace text stands out more
clearly.  I prefer it for that reason.  However, it would also mean
doing more work.

One idea is to just keep what we have now, and get more experience with
it as we introduce a proportional font in more places.  Once we have
more examples to look at and consider, we could decide if we want to
invest more work in making any improvements in one direction or another.