Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and org-mode)?
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 10:22:26 +0200

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 09:08:37 +0100
>
> RMS if you read this: would you allow to have a part of matlab-mode that
> interacts with matlab via the so called matlab shell, to be part of ELPA or
> GNU
> emacs?
>
> Rationale: there is already specific code that allows GNU emacs to be
> compiled in non free systems.

Can you explain in simple words what is so important about matlab-mode
that we'd like to have it in ELPA?  Is it syntax support, or is it the
fact that you can invoke the REPL of the Matlab interpreter from
Emacs, or is it something else?

I'm asking because I never understood why people who use Matlab would
like to use Emacs in conjunction with Matlab, since the Matlab
interactive mode provides so many features that are practically
necessary for any reasonable use of Matlab.  So what can Emacs
possibly add to that?