Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:05:39 +0100

> The ones that come to mind are headers in `C-h C-h' (where it looks
> great IMO, but that might be author's bias ;-) and headers in info.

😀

Perhaps the rest of the text in `C-h C-h' should also use a proportional
font?  I.e., everything but the keys.

> FWIW, I think we could and should use proportional fonts in more places.
> For example, the modus themes uses it in the `header-line-format' in
> info and it just looks better with no fuzz (though it would work even
> better if we added an :align-to text property).
>
> As you Lars pointed out in your thread about proportional fonts in the
> mode line, doing that will also help Emacs look more contemporary.
> There are of course many cases where it just won't work, but in other
> cases it absolutely will.

Yes, I think we should work towards using proportional fonts throughout
Emacs (where it makes sense) in the Emacs 29 cycle to get a more
consistent and modern look.  For instance, "emacs -Q" uses proportional
fonts in the menus and the toolbars (on most systems), but not in the
mode line or the header lines.